News / Trending

Mavado Blast Law Enforcement For Handling Of Nightclub Shooting Incident

Dancehall star Mavado is putting the police force on blast for their handling of the shooting incident at the Quad Nightclub last year that left his close friend Conroy “Connie” Edwards dead.

The incident took place on June 13th, 2011 while the singjay and his entourage was attending Bounty Killer’s birthday bash at the club. An alleged fight broke out between the deejay and an off duty police officer who was guarding the gate, the officer reportedly pulled a firearm and Edwards was fatally shot.

“To date, this matter continues to be the subject of investigations with the lapse of seven (7) months,” Mavado said in a statement sent to Urban Islandz.

Mavado said he is concerned about the fact that there has been no arrest or no one charged in the incident that is a clear homicide.

“As a witness to the incident and a Jamaican citizen who is committed to the rule of law, it has caused me great concern that, what I, in my humble view, see as a clear case of homicide, has failed to result in an arrest thus far. Myself, along with five (5) other persons who were eyewitnesses to the incident, have carried out our civic duties by giving statements to the police. I attended the Constant Spring Police Station immediately after the incident where I gave my eyewitness statement to the police about the shooting I witnessed and about the assault on me.”

Mavado also said that although he was a victim, he was charged for assaulting an officer just hours after the incident.

“It is no secret that allegations made against me led to my arrest within hours after the said June 13, 2011 incident and subsequently to me being charged for assault. However, contrastingly, the person against whom statements were given, a serving member of the JCF, has yet to be arrested. How could this happen? I was assaulted first by the police officer, I reported the incident first and subsequently was arrested first. Connie was killed while being unarmed. I have deliberately kept my silence for the last seven (7) months, but the time has come for me to go public with the hope that justice will be done.”

Do you think this is another case of police bias?