Sting fans were hoping to see popular dancehall veteran Ninja Man grace the stage this year, but that hope went dim last week.
Ninja Man, whose real name is Desmond Ballentine, appeared on court on Friday (December 17) for his bail hearing, which was reschedule to January 14, 2011.
This will not only cause the deejay to spend another Christmas holiday behind bars, but also miss his favourite dancehall show, Sting.
Ninja Man and his son Janile Ballentine have been in prison since March of 2009. He, his son and another man, Clayton Dennis, were charged with murder, conspiracy to murder and illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition. They were charged in connection with the March 16 murder of 20-year-old Ricardo ‘Ricky Trooper’ Johnson.
Ninja Man lawyer said, “both accused didn’t get bail because it is said that the witnesses are being threatened.”
According to reports, Johnson was sweeping his yard in the company of a friend at Mall Road, St Andrew, on the day in question, when a motor car with three men aboard drove up. An argument developed between Johnson’s friend and the men who left but later returned with guns blazing. Johnson was fatally shot in the incident.
Ninja and his co-accuses will be back in court on January 14.