Embattled reggae dancehall star Buju Banton’s appeal was dismissed by a federal judge yesterday. The decision dealt a big blow to the singer’s quest for freedom.
A court of appeal in Georgia for the 11th Circuit handed down the ruling on Thursday (June 21st). The Appeal court argued that the jury’s decision to convict the Grammy winner last year was the right one.
Buju Banton, whose real name is Mark Myrie, was convicted in a Florida Federal Court in February 2011 on three counts of drug trafficking charges including conspiracy to distribute cocaine. The Judge dismissed a fourth charge of possessing a firearm in furtherance of a drug crime, although he was also found guilty on that charge. The Appeal court also agrees with that conviction.
Buju Banton was sentence to 10 years in a federal prison.
Buju Banton’s lawyer David Markus says the singer is heartbroken by the Appeal court’s decision.
“I called him (Buju) and told him about the decision. He, like me, was heartbroken. He couldn’t believe it,” Markus told the Observer. “He believes that we were right and would win.”
“I truly believe that a good man is in jail for talking a big game. I will continue to fight for him,” Markus added.
Markus is asking Buju Banton legion of fans to rally for the “Destiny” singer in this difficult time.
“He’s been strong for a long while, but this is a big blow for him,” said David Markus.
Banton and his legal team may seek a new trial.
Sound off below.